“54% women back wife-beating” screamed the headline in today’s Times of India.
I read it again to make sure I read it right. Women supporting wife-beating? 54% of them?
Some other findings from the survey conducted in 28 states in India during 2005-2006:
– 51% men say it is OK for husband to beat his wife
– Over 40% of married women experience abuse at home
– 35% women were OK with being brutally assaulted by their husbands if they neglected household chores or their children
– Only 2% of abused women have ever sought police help
– Buddhist women (41%) report highest level of violence, followed by Muslim and Hindu women. Jain women face least violence (13%).
The last finding was another stunner. Buddhist women getting a rough deal from their Buddhist husbands? Not what I expected. How do survey people ensure their respondents are telling the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Maybe Buddhist women are more honest and so more got revealed. But then that still is 41% of them getting abused.
Compare this with a survey some days back that said “Indians are amongst the most satisfied with their lives”. Yeah, with such low expectations we are no doubt easily satisfied. Yogis, all of us.